Team Topologies

Organizational boundaries can increase costs by 25% or more. They create buffers that slow down response time and interfere with communication
~Mary and Tom Poppendieck

Instead, create small, cross-functional agile teams that span silos. Each group of people (5-11 members) should have all the skills needed to deliver value without handoffs or delays.

The implications of team structure on architecture are often overlooked. The team’s organizational design should align with the desired technical architecture, not the other way around. This is especially important when organizing teams of agile teams (Agile Release Trains).

While there is no perfect design, authors Mathew Skelton and Manuel Pais describe four basic team patterns in Team Topologies, Organizing Business, and Technical Team for Fast Flow.

Below are two good resources to learn more about team topologies. I highly recommend their book. See the link for the book review to determine if you will find it valuable. If you don’t have time to read the book, consider starting with the Team Topologies article from Scaled Agile.

Team Topologies Book Review:

Scaled Agile article on Team Topologies:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! @rknaster Would you mind if I put this in our knowledge base? I think it’d be a great resource in that section of our community as well!